Saturday, May 4, 2024

My father’s cars

 


When I was growing up my parents had a model A Ford with a rumble seat.

We had this car as far back as I could remember in Rexburg and then my father drove it to Missoula, Montana when he joined the weather bureau.

We had to take the train to meet him in Missoula. After he was transferred to Pocatello Idaho, we drove from Missoula to Pocatello in that car . He had that car when we drove to Cheyenne and Martell and I rode in the rumble seat and Glendon rode in the front and there was a little shelf between the seat and the back window where he used to lie down.

We had that car all the time we were in Cheyenne. My father had bought the house that we lived in in Pocatello, but was unable to sell it and while we were getting ready to go to Denver, he traded a newer car for the house in Pocatello. Because he did not, want to own two cars he sold the model a Ford when we left Cheyenne to move to Denver.

My uncle Merrill was going to Washington DC to go to law school and so he drove the car from Pocatello to Denver. On the way, he had some car problems, and eventually got to Denver and the car was inoperable. My father did all of his traveling in Denver either by bicycle or public transportation, but mostly by bicycle. He rode his bicycle every workday from our home to the airport when he worked there and after he was transferred to the downtown office, he rode it downtown.

We did not have a car for the first months that we lived in Lander until my mother got a ride to Denver where she picked up a car and paid for it much to my father‘s dismay.

In spite of the fact that we had that car, we walked to school every day and back over a mile each way.

No comments:

Post a Comment