Sunday, January 12, 2014

Writing your own life story.


Writing your own life story.
When our children were small we had a record and a book. It came from a musical called "My Turn On Earth".


I have been working on my personal history.  I have published my father's history and am in the process of editing my mother's history. I have written some histories of some of my ancestors as well as read many others.


Now to each of my grandchildren, I suggest that you can decide, to a great extent, your life story or what kind of a person you will end up being.
From the musical, I quote the lyrics.


"My Story
I'm the one that writes my own story.
I decide the person I'll be.
What goes in the plot, and what will not
is pretty much up to me.

And just in case I need to erase,
it was figured out before.
A thing called repentance can wipe out a sentence,
a page or a chapter or more.

Ev'ryone that writes his own story
now and then will make some mistakes.
But given some care, they needn't stay there.
And this is all that it takes.

You must know you've done wrong, and so
you feel very bad and then,
don't try to hide it. Do try to right it,
and vow you won't do it again.

This book of mine is very important,
and so someone is waiting right there,
To help with my story, He's been here before me
and always as close as a prayer.

We will write each day and night,
and do it well and faithfully.
A wonderful story of sadness and glory.
It's written by Jesus and me.

A wonderful story of sadness and glory.
It's written by Jesus and me."


The Lord has ordered our existence here on the earth so that we have our agency to make our choices.  We have to understand that we are not able to avoid the consequences of our decisions.  The consequences may not be immediate.  They may not affect our life or the lives of others for a number of years, but they inexorably do come. To paraphrase a common saying; The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.


As I physically write the history of my life, I am also aware that I am writing my story by the things that I do every day; how I treat others, what I say, what I do with my time and talents, and what I think.

I want my written history to be accurate. I want my unwritten story to be such that I am not ashamed to have anyone look at what I do.

Please write your story carefully.

Grandpa

No comments:

Post a Comment