Thursday, March 13, 2014

Disappointment is a part of life.


Disappointment is a part of life.


Every one will have disappointments in their life.  I have had some in my life.  I wish to share some experiences with my grandchildren that perhaps they might know that every thing has not gone smoothly in my life.  Some may look at my life and think that I had every thing go smoothly without bumps along the way.  This is not the case.  I will detail only a few of these incidents for your consideration. There have been many more.

I once asked my father if he had ever had any disappointments in his life, he said he did, but he never shared them with me, nor did he detail them in any of his journals or history.


I had applied to be the doctor at the Jerusalem Center of Brigham Young University.  I had heard about this position and thought that I would retire and work as the doctor in Jerusalem. I made application but I was rejected.  Apparently my son John had angered the person responsible for appointing the doctor at the Jerusalem center.  When I asked for them to consider my application, I was told that I did not need to apply again.


Our friend Mary Kocherhans' father was a doctor at the MTC in Provo.  He retired and so I applied to fill that position. I did not hear anything from them, so I went down to the MTC one day to ask why I had not heard anything.  The secretary told me she could not find my application.  They said they must have lost it. The position was filled.


This is similar to what happened to my application for an obstetric residency at LDS hospital. For a link to this click here.


We have to learn to deal with disappointment. Every thing cannot go our way in life. It was not designed to go that way here in mortality. We would not learn to do anything in this life if everything were easy.  In Second Nephi Chapter two we learn that there must be an opposition in all things. We can learn from it or we can let it occupy our thoughts and mind to the point that it embitters us.  Rise above your disappointments! 

Love,

Grandpa

1 comment: