Saturday, August 9, 2014

Of Light and Darkness


1 John 1:5 ”God is light and in him is no darkness at all.”

The other night I was going to make sure that there was a stamp on an envelope to go out in the mail the next morning and I did not turn on the light in the room. As I walked into the living room and tried to find the stamp in the dark, I had difficulty in seeing and I wanted to make sure that I did not stumble over the furniture.


I left the lighted bedroom and found my way in the dark and that was the part that was difficult. As I turned around, suddenly I could see much clearer.  I could see all of furniture although it was dark, because the light from the bedroom illuminated things (although very dimly), but I could now see the furniture and my way through the room.



When we wander away from the light of the gospel and the light of Christ and the light that our Father in Heaven sheds upon us, then we do not see very clearly.

This gave me the idea for this blog.


When we turn around and go toward the light then we see more clearly and are able to avoid the obstacles that are placed in our way. To quote another scripture in D&C 50: 24 That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.


Those who do not actively seek to know and understand the gospel are turning their back on the light. It is akin to the vision of Lehi. Many people lost their way in the mists of darkness and wandered on forbidden paths and were lost, because they let go of the iron rod and turned their back on the light.



We sing the song,” Teach me to walk in the light of His love”. The next time you sing this song think of turning from the dark into the light and being able to see your way more clearly.



Remember that this is not a passive activity.  It requires work and study and diligence on your part. You cannot seek light by sitting and wishing. You must actively study and pray or the light will never come.  We must keep the commandments and love our neighbors and all fellow men.



1 John 2:11 But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.



The gospel and the Savior are the light of the world.



Please walk in the light.



Love,



Grandpa

No comments:

Post a Comment