Monday, May 8, 2023

My Wife Alice

 

My Wife Alice

What I like about my wife.

We often take our spouse for granted. We tell each other that we love them,but often don’t give them deserved specific praise. Then Satan comes in and whispers that they are inferior and this especially when they see others who have exceptional talents.

Without the loving support of a spouse the seeds of self-doubt creep in.

We were in our first year of marriage. My wife sacrificed finishing her college education to go to work and support me in medical school. She has since had regrets that she did not graduate from college. She will be rewarded in eternity for her sacrifice. She was selfless and I can never repay her.

We immediately started a family. Because I was in school, she cooked the meals and washed the clothes and went through pregnancies and labor and delivery to bring seven children into the world. She taught them to pray and taught them her love of God and Jesus Christ. She will yet receive her crown of glory and my eternal praise for her selfless service to these children.

She loved the gospel and the restored church. She served in a number of callings in the primary and Relief Society with dedication. There are many who were blessed by her service, and she gained lasting friendships as a result.

She found time to take a painting class and went to travel school and used those skills in working at the travel agency. When we were on our mission in Germany, she went to the volkshochschule and took instruction in the German language. When we were in Moscow, we took Russian lessons twice weekly. She was always learning no matter how difficult it was.

Although she did not serve a mission as a youth, she served with me for a little over four- and one-half years in Germany and Russia during which she cooked meals and cared for sick missionaries as well as doing work in the area office. I could not have served in my calling without her companionship and support Each week she wrote detailed emails to my parents and children while we were on our missions.

She cooked meals for my aged parents in Lander and made sure that their needs were met when they were in the assisted living facility in Bountiful. Hers has been a life of service.

We served together as ordinance workers in the Bountiful temple for over six years. Our window of opportunity closed as sight and health issues precluded our further service in the Lord’s holy house.

She was an ardent traveler. I enjoyed being her traveling companion.

She was an accomplished cook and passed on this love to her children. We often have conversations with our children which inevitably turns to food.

 

She was an avid genealogist and collected family histories and when FamilySearch came out, she entered names and dates and memories and photos until macular degeneration and cataracts made this more difficult. She saw that temple ordinations were performed for relatives which individuals have her to thank for making the eternal saving ordinances available for them to accept.

 

She has always dressed appropriately for each occasion and always looked nice in spite of some people thinking that skirts were no longer in fashion. She is always appropriately dressed and makes me a better person.

 

When I first found out that she could play the piano I was really impressed, and she has accompanied me when I would sing some solos. She led the choir and participated in a women's chorus.

 

These are just a few things that I admire about my eternal sweetheart.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment