Saturday, February 22, 2014

An unfinished letter

[This letter was written July 27 2007, but was never completed.  It is now sent to you, because it contains some of my sentiments today.  It is not as moving as Shubert's Unfinished Symphony, which I used to play in the high school band.]

    A letter to my children for their edification and not for public distribution.  I have pondered and prayed and thought much about some things that I will write to you about.  It is an amalgamation of my experience and the teachings of church leaders and a sense of what is written in the scriptures.  It is my idea and understanding and what I think I ought to share with you, my fellow servants in the kingdom, my children and my friends.

    There is a basic reason for life, family and marriage in this existence.  It was put very simply in the book of Genesis and the instructions given to Adam and Eve.  We are to come to earth and become one with our mates, multiply and replenish the earth, learn the saving principles of the gospel, and teach them to our children that they also may have eternal life.

    The revelation indicates that joy is the reason for this existence, but also indicated that it will not be full until the "Day of the Lord Jesus Christ".

    It is therefore a matter of faith, because the joy that we seek is neither a reward for present labors nor constant reinforcement for our deeds here in this laboratory of learning.

    It was not until we adopted Philip that I came to a conscious realization that a parent commits at least 18 years of his life to another human being each time a child is invited into the home.  We certainly cannot be so selfish and self centered that we refuse to take into our home all the children that the Lord sees fit to bless us with.  When we look at the eternal perspective, that our dedication to those principles is really the work of the Lord, we are overwhelmed by the magnitude of the assignment which we share with the Lord.  I am glad that the Lord was unselfish enough to provide me with my spiritual body.

    The provision of a body, however, is a minor part of the assignment of a parent.  We were instructed by all.. (and here it ends.  I will one day remember what I was going to write next.)

No comments:

Post a Comment