Wednesday, March 23, 2016

A family mission statement


Last month I attended Roots Tech conference. One of the speakers there talked about the fact that each large corporation or business had a mission statement. This gives direction to the company and a guide to where decisions will lead.
Each of us should have received an individual mission statement. We call it a patriarchal blessing. This is not like going to a fortuneteller. It is a declaration of possibilities and occasionally a warning of things that may cause problems in our lives.

For my eightieth birthday my children put together a book, which probably defines our family mission statement as well as anything, I could have put together. I am sorry that we did not do this earlier in our family life, but I think we gave each of our children the impression of what we expected of them.

We had a number of family rules. Two or three times a year we would hold a family home evening and rehearse the rules. Every one knew what was expected of them.

The Lord has a mission statement for us as outlined in the scriptures. “ And we will prove them I think it is better for each of us to fashion our family mission statement that is congruent with the gospel.

Here are the things that are in our family mission statement. These are listed not necessarily in order of importance except the first.

Faith in God and in his son Jesus Christ
Being married in the temple, then always have a current temple recommend.
Serving a mission
Learning a foreign language
Having a college education
Having family home evening
Reenacting the nativity at Christmas
An extra ordinary interest in food

There are other things that could be added to the Gee Family Mission Statement.

What is your personal mission statement?  What will you have for your family mission statement?

Think about it!

Love Grandpa

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! I like them all, but one that totally made me smile, was the last one....that's great. I can tell that is true; I've had two dinners at the hand of your very talented and loved Rachel....now I see where she gets her interest in food.....this is profound.

    ReplyDelete