Wednesday, February 28, 2024

An Uncle Vernon Story

 

I heard this story from my father.

My uncle Vernon Gee graduated from Idaho State University as a pharmacist. He wanted to go to medical school. He applied to Northwestern University in Chicago where his cousin Dr. George Lowe had gone. George was four years older than Vernon.

Vernon went to Chicago expecting to be accepted into medical school, but was not accepted. This did not deter him. He went to the registrar's office in the medical school and asked if he could be admitted if someone dropped out. This he did on a regular basis. Then one day he was told that someone had dropped out and he could be admitted. He completed medical school and went on to specialize and served in a MASH unit in Korea. 

I also applied to Northwestern, but the University of Utah was the first to accept me.  
 
Remember that persistence pays.


No comments:

Post a Comment