Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Disappointments in life

 

Disappointments in life

I will document some of the challenges in my life.

When I was in medical school two of my classmates sang in the tabernacle choir. At Christmas time ZCMI hired a quartet to dress up as elves and go around the store and sing Christmas carols. I sang bass and practiced with them. I wanted to earn some money during the Christmas break from school. I thought I was going to be singing with them, but they decided I was not a fit. I had to scramble for a job and wound up working at the post office.

During my senior year of medical school the armed forces had a plan called the Berry plan. If the candidate applied and was accepted the selected branch of the service would pay the tuition for school in exchange for four years of service as an officer. One could do the internship and residency to count as those years at a salary much higher than most internships and residency programs paid at that time. I had a physical at Fort Douglas and was declared not fit to serve.

I applied for an obstetrics residency at LDS hospital when I was an intern. One day a drug representative asked me if I wasn’t going to the LDS hospital for my residency. I told him that I hadn’t heard. He said that all the slots were filled. I called the doctor who was the head of the department. When I asked him why I hadn’t heard he told me they must have lost my application.

I had learned about an opening for a doctor in the BYU Jerusalem center from doctor Linford, who had served there from 1996-1998. When we got home from our mission in Germany in 2000, I applied for that position. The individual at BYU who was over the program had a disagreement with John and I was told never to apply again.

After we moved to North Salt Lake, I knew the doctor who was over the MTC in Provo. He was leaving and I sent in an application to replace him. I didn’t hear anything and I finally called them and they said they must have lost my application and they had hired someone else.

Disappointments and unfulfilled expectations come into everyone’s life. It depends on how we handle them. That is the test of our trip through mortality.

Love,
Grandpa


No comments:

Post a Comment