Saturday, March 16, 2024

The supposed calling envy

 

The supposed calling envy 

There is no inequality in the gospel of Jesus Christ and His true church. All are children of God and are equal before him, as long as we keep His commandments.
 
Let me illustrate how inappropriate thinking can keep us from understanding how the Lord administers His kingdom.

Before we moved to Lander the stake president needed to call a bishop to serve in the Lander first ward. He and his counselors cleared the individual with the high council and submitted the recommendation to the First Presidency. He then informed the individual to expect the call. The 
First Presidency informed the stake president that he should find another candidate, because this man was employed at a job that required him to work on Sunday. That was a big blow to the man. He later served on the high council. 
 
When I was the stake president the stake Sunday school president moved and we needed to replace him. I felt inspired to call this brother to serve in that calling. I understood that he felt that this was a demotion and shortly after this he moved to the Big Horn basin. I heard that he had hard feelings toward me. He didn’t know that he was no less serviceable in that position.

We had a neighbor who went to high school with me. She was much younger and we went to church together. She married in the Idaho Falls temple the same day we were married. Her father had served as the branch president and was at one time on the high council. After awhile she was upset that her husband was not “promoted “ to a leadership position in the church. They eventually divorced and he married a girl that I took to a high school dance on my return from my mission in 1957. She joined the church and as far as I know she is active even after he died two years ago. The first wife is inactive.

We do not have a church where every member is unimportant. 

We need every calling and they are needed for the body of Christ. Metaphorically speaking we cannot be without a single toe. 
 
Love,
Grandpa

No comments:

Post a Comment